While both are trusted mattress brands, Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Number and their lines of premium mattresses, bed bases, pillows, and other bedroom essentials have their own key features that may make customers gravitate to one brand over the other. Tempur-Pedic is known for its plush and temperature-sensitive TEMPUR material. Meanwhile, Sleep Number’s 360 Smart Beds have all the bells and whistles, including SleepIQ, Responsive Air technology, and even foot-warming technology.
To help you choose which luxury mattress can provide you with the best sleep experience, we compare the different models, materials, and features of the Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Number mattresses.
Tempur-Pedic vs Sleep Number Comparison Chart
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
Cooling Memory Foam
|Mattress Firmness||Soft, Medium, Medium Hybrid, Firm||Adjustable comfort and firmness|
|Sizes||Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, Cal King, Split King, Split Cal King||Twin, Twin Long, Full, Queen, King, Cal King, Split King, FlexTop King, Split Cal King, FlexTop Cal King|
|Sleep IQ Technology||No||Yes|
|Free Shipping||Within 48 contiguous US||Yes, for its s1 and s3 bed models|
|White Glove Delivery||Yes||Yes|
|Sleep Trial||90 days||100 days|
|Warranty||10 Years||Up to 15 years|
Major Differences and Similarities
Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Number mattresses have different foam materials, construction, and customizable features
As mentioned earlier, Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Number are both luxury mattress brands that promise the utmost comfort for different types of sleepers. We’ll discuss their similarities and differences in more detail throughout the article, but in a nutshell, their similarities include the following:
- White glove delivery
- Long sleep trial period
- Their different mattress models have different firmness and cooling features
On the other hand, the following are the primary differences of Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Number:
- Tempur-Pedic’s mattresses are typically made of memory foam and a combination of foam and premium coils for its hybrid mattresses; mattresses are available in soft, medium, medium hybrid, and firm mattress feels
- Sleep Number mattresses feature a comfort foam layer and integrated air chambers that allow users to adjust the firmness level from 0 to 100
- Tempur-Pedic’s cover is made of premium knit fabric while Sleep Number is usually topped with a 2” of Hypersoft Quilting Foam
- Sleep Number mattresses need to be plugged to an outlet for the integrated air chambers to work and they work best with flat bed bases
Material and Construction
Tempur-Pedic’s comfort layer is usually made of memory foam while Sleep Number uses comfort foam and integrated air chambers
Tempur-Pedic claim to fame was its main memory foam layer made from its TEMPUR material. Select Tempur-Pedic mattress lines also offer medium, medium hybrid, and firm models for those who prefer firmer mattresses. The hybrid mattresses include premium innerspring coils for better support.
While memory foam is known for its comfort, it can get too hot, and consequently affect sleep quality. To better serve those who are hot sleepers, Tempur-Pedic released the TEMPUR-breeze° mattresses that boast PureCool+™ technology and its TEMPUR-CM+ material. The TEMPUR-breeze° LUXEbreeze models can get up to 8° cooler than other Tempur-Peduc mattresses while the PRObreeze mattresses can get up to 3° cooler.
The Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-breeze° line’s Sleep Number counterpart would be the m7 beds. The Sleep Number m7 360 smart beds use cooling memory foam equipped with technology that adjusts the temperature depending on your body’s temperature and movements.
The highlight of Sleep Number mattresses, however, is not the cooling memory foam. Instead, what makes Sleep Number an excellent mattress choice for pretty much all kinds of sleepers is its integrated air chambers. Located under the comfort layer, the air chambers allow users to adjust the mattress firmness from 0 to 100. Sleep Number even has a questionnaire that will help you find the best Sleep Number setting for you.
Support and Performance
Sleep Number mattresses are best for couples who have very different sleep preferences
Motion transfer and different sleep preferences are among the most common sleeping issues couples face when sharing a bed. Tempur-Pedic mattresses, especially the all-foam models, offer excellent motion isolation, so even if you or your partner keeps tossing and turning, the other will hardly feel it. The TEMPUR-ProAdapt and TEMPUR LuxeAdapt lines are among the best in this regard. Those who prefer some bounce and better edge support are better off with the medium hybrid Tempur-Pedic mattresses.
While Tempur-Pedic performs well in the motion-isolation department, it can’t beat the Sleep Number 360 Smart Bed, thanks to the latter’s dual adjustability technology. Couples who prefer different firmness levels will appreciate the dual adjustability feature of Sleep Number 360 smart beds as it allows you and your partner to choose even vastly different firmness levels. The smart bed mattress is also equipped with sensors that can detect your body movements and automatically adjust the air in the air chambers.
Certain Sleep Number smart beds with FlexFit features even let you adjust your partner’s headrest when he/she is snoring, set foot-warming settings, and more. The Sleep Number 360 smart beds and their sensors also provide insight into your sleep quality through the SleepIQ technology. The caveat to Sleep Number beds, however, is the air chambers require electricity to work.
Those looking for pressure relief can’t go wrong wither either Tempur-Pedic or Sleep Number Performance and Innovation mattresses.
Delivery and Warranty
Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Number offer white glove delivery service and long trial and warranty periods
With white glove delivery service, you won’t have to worry about setting up your new mattress or getting rid of your old one. Tempur-Pedic’s free white glove delivery service for select models is hard to beat and its paid premium delivery is still on the lower range. Sleep Number’s premium delivery service is more expensive, but it includes setting up the Sleep Number setting and SleepIQ technology as well.
Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Number have long free trial periods of 90 days and 100 days, respectively. However, do keep in mind that both companies will charge you with the return shipping fees. Sleep Number’s return shipping cost can range from $199 to $249 excluding taxes. Both brands also have generous warranties. Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Number offer up to 10 years and 15 years of warranty, respectively.
Here’s a quick round-up of their different mattress lines and models
Even when you’ve picked the brand that you prefer, choosing the best model for you can be daunting with all the options they offer. The following list of their models will help you further narrow down your choice:
- TEMPUR-Cloud: 10-inch entry-level Tempur-Pedic mattress designed for easy and efficient shipping; only available in medium firmness level
- TEMPUR-Adapt: 11-inch mattress made of the original TEMPUR material; available in medium and medium hybrid mattress feels
- TEMPUR-ProAdapt: 12-inch mattress with 20% more TEMPUR material than the standard Adapt mattress; available in soft, medium, medium hybrid, and firm mattress feels
- TEMPUR-LuxeAdapt: 13-inch mattress with 40% more TEMPUR material than the standard Adapt model; available in soft and firm mattress feels and doesn’t come in hybrid options
- TEMPUR-breeze°: advanced cooling mattresses perfect for hot sleepers; available in 12-inch PRObreeze and 13-inch LUXEbreeze options and soft to firm mattress feels
The different models of the Sleep Number mattress lines have varying thickness of comfort layers. Most of them, however, include the core features such as dual adjustability, SleepIQ technology, and responsive air technology.
- Classic 360 series: Sleep Number’s entry-level mattresses that include the 9-inch c2 and 9-inch c4 smart beds
- Performance 360 series: the best Sleep Number mattresses for pressure-relieving and temperature-balancing comfort; includes the 10-inch p5, 10-inch pSE Special Edition, and 11-inch p6 smart beds
- Innovation 360 series: includes the 12-inch i8 and 13-inch i10 smart beds that boast superior pressure relief
- Cooling Memory Foam series: includes the m7 smart bed with excellent pressure relief and temperature balancing technology for superior cooling comfort
- Value bed series: includes the s1 and s3 beds equipped with dual adjustability and SleepIQ technology; designed for fast ground shipping at an affordable cost
- Comfortaire bed series: includes the 9-inch r3 and 10-inch r5 RV mattresses with Advanced Dual Air Technology; Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard compliant
Opt for Tempur-Pedic if you prefer the responsiveness of memory foam, but if you prefer to have the ability to adjust your mattress’ firmness level, Sleep Number better fits you
Best for memory foam mattresses
Best for premium smart beds
Whether you choose Tempur-Pedic or Sleep Number, you can put your mind at ease that you’re getting a comfortable and durable luxury mattress that will last for years.
With that said, those on a budget can opt for Sleep Number’s s1 and s3 value beds that are still equipped with SleepIQ technology and dual adjustability. For the rest of the models, Tempur-Pedic and Sleep Number’s prices are pretty much the same. Choosing between the two depends highly on whether you want the comfort that memory foam offers or the smart features of the Sleep Number 360 smart bed.
In particular, hot sleepers will find the Sleep Number smart beds a great option or Tempur-Pedic’s top-of-the-line TEMPUR-breeze mattresses. Meanwhile, those who want the softness of memory foam and Sleep Number’s SleepIQ technology should choose from the m7 Innovation 360 smart bed series.
Tempur-Pedic mattresses are great for most individuals, especially for those who need relief pressure and additional support. Meanwhile, Sleep Number is great for couples, especially those with different sleeping and mattress firmness preferences.
Tempur-Pedic mattresses use memory foam made of its original TEMPUR material while Sleep Number smart beds boast dual adjustability, SleepIQ technology, and integrated air chambers that let you adjust the mattress’ firmness to suit your preference.
Yes, especially for couples who snore, toss and turn at night, or have different mattress firmness preferences. For a more affordable alternative, the Sleep Number Value beds are great options as well.
As one of the best memory foam mattresses out there, Tempur-Pedic is worth the money, even more so for people who wake up with back and body pains.